Friday 19 April 2013

I just want a story about me. Is that too much to ask for?

So Tumblr has influenced me a lot. Like, a lot, a lot. Especially when it comes to racism and feminism.Yes, I can hear the collective sighs of the audience and the rolling of eyes of the crowd. RACIST! SEXIST!

I'm kidding, or am I? Sigh.

Anyways, there is so much I would like to write about what it is to be a "woman of colour" yadayadayada and I applaud you, my fellow brother and sister, for your fight against racism and I feel your pain. I guess I have had it lucky compared to a lot of brown people who get slapped with the racial slurs and hate that comes with being what we are but my feelings don't represent that population. I have of course had the odd racial slur and one of my friends have actually said to me that she "doesn't see me as a brown person, but as a white person" which I wasn't sure was a compliment or an insult (although, I'm leaning towards insult... Can a brown person not be a smart and hardworking individual without being referred to as white? Fuck you, now I'm slightly annoyed; Now I'm starting to feel like you dont respect me as a person, because I am brown and I am smart and I do work hard... excuse my tooting). And I have had to endure unfair circumstances that may have been because I am brown but I don't want to go into that.

Now I'm gonna do a rough left turn and talk about books. You want to know what really influenced me to start writing? It was the lack of brown (female) protagonists. I want to read a book about someone like me. See, even when I've read books with African characters I still really can't relate to them. I want to read about a strong, polynesian chick who doesn't even necessarily have to be a bad ass warrior with tribal tattoos (which was what my protagonist was like in my first few stories haha I will see myself out after this I promise) she can just be a normal chick who just happens to have all this cultural background... Or some brown protagonist in a fantasy novel about, I dont know, vampires or some shit. And even if it was cliche, I might even read it. And dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the books out today... My eyes have just been opened to the fact that these protagonist's like Katniss and Hermione and Bella even, are all women who girls can look up to, white women. One of my favourite books in the world is Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (BOOM! Product Placement)... But I want, no I need to see more brown skinned folks in books. I know there is a book called Telesa going around but I dont have green eyes, yes I got a mean as bush for hair but that's it... Plus, I'm really not into the whole Teen Paranormal so I couldnt motivate myself after the first few chapters (Sorry Wendt, but I congratulate you on your success).

Well, my thought processing for the day is almost at its end and I really have to get a move on this assignment.. And maybe one day I will finish one of these damn stories I've written and contribute to the lack of brown protagonists... MAYBE

Anyway, if you know of any books with some brown characters in it I would love to hear from you.

Until next time,

DancingPotatotes

No comments:

Post a Comment